Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Bitter Sweet
I have been excited all this week to take my trip to Florida and the "happiest place on earth" and all of us that are going are counting down and psyching each other up. Then this afternoon around noonish I ran into my dad in the hall at work and he said he got a voicemail from my aunt and my grandma was in the hospital. If any of you know my grandma this isn't a very good thing (I guess being in the hospital is never a good thing). She is a tiny tiny almost 96 year old lady. She still walks a couple miles a day, takes care of most of her yard by herself and does all her own house work, volunteers at pretty much any welfare assignement her ward gets and goes to the temple as much as she can, she is not one to sit by and watch people work. I guess sometimes I forget how old she is and how fragile she has become. My dad got the call and called my aunt back. My grandma broke a tiny bone in her pelvis that holds the hips apart. They don't know how she did it, with her age and her bones she could have done it rolling over in her sleep. She was hurting last night and it sounds like she didn't sleep most of the night as the pain in her leg got worse, she was waiting for a decent hour so she wouldn't have to wake my aunt up. They took her to the ER around 5:30 this morning and they did tests up until 2ish when they found out it was a tiny broken bone. There isn't a way to fix it by surgery, they just have to let her heal. Thats part of the bad part, after being in the hospital for 2-3 days they will send her to an after care facility or rehab facility (fancy name for a nursing home) for 6-8 weeks. I am really concerned about her going there and having nothing to keep her going. Ross and my dad were able to give her a blessing when we went to see her, but I still am concerned with the seriousness of this. That and she will be in there for Thanksgiving and possibly Christmas. We were discussing ways to break her out for the holidays. I also found out that my uncle loves hospital food. I found that so odd, who likes hospital food?!?! Sometimes when him and my aunt are going to eat he suggests going to a hospital for dinner. Kind of funny. So, I am still excited for Florida but its dampered by this.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment