Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My Holiday Weekend

It was such a busy weekend I don't feel like I got any rest and didn't get much time to sleep in, man life is rough. Saturday morning we got up at 5:30 to go to the balloon fest, which turned out to be a dud. In years past its been interesting. You can walk around as the hot air balloons are blown up and once they are all up and before they take off its like walking through a forest of balloons, then they take off and there are games they play and its kind of interesting watching the pilots maneuver the balloons and end up all over the valley. This year there was too much wind for them to be able to inflate the balloons safely. At one point there was a window of like 10 min when there was little wind and all the balloons tried to fill up and take off before the wind hit again. Only 3 made it off the ground, the rest had to deflate and pack up their balloons. It was Ross' first time to go, he has had to work previous years, and it was a little disappointing for it to be a bust. It was kind of cool, when we were walking around one of the pilots took the time to show and explain the basket, the gas and the science behind it all.

Saturday afternoon my sister came over and we spent quite a while making the cake for my nieces first birthday. It was fun and I think it turned out pretty good considering all the things that went wrong and all the changes that were made. It was fun to put to use some of the skills we learned in our cake class and I think it turned out pretty good. It was our first time doing more than one tier and so we had to figure out supports and I was concerned it would collapse, but it stayed up and sturdy. My final cake class is this Thursday and I now have the task of coming up with an idea for my final cake, which I will be doing all by myself so it may take forever.
Sunday after church we had some guests over for dinner. We grilled some carne asada and it was so good. Our first carne asada of the summer. It was so good and I was so glad that it was a cooler, overcast day so our house wasn't roasting while we had company over.

After our dinner on Sunday we had to go over to my brother and sister-in-laws house for the birthday celebration for my niece. I was pretty nervous about the cake because it was kind of heavy and I was afraid it would topple with the big top. But with some slow and careful driving we made it ok.

Monday was the best, it was a lazy morning. Its been a while since I got to just chill and read in bed and I took full advantage of it before going to my parents to help my mom with some projects for the little kids for family reunion this next weekend. At this point I think I am ready for summer to be over, there is just too much going on and I never seem to have time to get everything done that needs to be done, but I guess that is part of life as an adult.

2 comments:

BreAnn said...

I know, Monday was the best 'cause there was nothing planned and I could have a lazy day. We are teh Cake Boss, no biggie! :)

Mel said...

Thank you for making such a wonderful cake. I'm so impressed! Thank you for all the time and effort you put into it.