Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Family

This past weekend was my family reunion and it was quite the experience. I generally look forward to family reunions with it being pretty much the one time a year our entire family is in the same location at the same time. Maybe I should clarify, I generally look forward to the family reunions with my parents and siblings. I am not much for the big extended reunions, since I really don't know those people its generally a feeling of taking a day, when I would rather be doing other things, and sitting around watching those we are told we are somehow related to and being thankful for the gene pool that me and my siblings came from. Just a word of advice: talent shows are never, ever a good idea for family reunions, no matter how clever or talented you think your children are. But I digress. . . . .

This year for our reunion we went to Rockport State Park, just East of Park City. It was nice that it was close since we weren't able to go up on Thursday evening, we were able to get there early enough on Friday to still have a full day of play. Pretty much the only big thing to do was to boat and swim, which we did for 2 days. It was fun to be able to hang out with Jared and his family, we don't get to see them much with them living down in Blanding. Here are some pictures I "borrowed" from Jared. I didn't get any pictures at all during reunion, I was too preoccupied to pull out my camera.







We spent a lot of time in the water, which is what almost all of us like to do. We did play on the boats but on Saturday most of us spent time just floating and swimming around the boat, hanging out and just joking around. The water was very crisp and the longer you were in it the warmer it felt, which was probably just your body going numb. But we spent a few hours just swimming around the boat and jumping off it. During this time Ross almost drowned our niece. I don't remember what he was saying or doing but he had her laughing so hard that she was taking in water and had to keep spitting it up. She was telling me that I need to make Ross do child comedy shows and he should go on "The Next Comic Standing."

I wasn't sure how much playing I was going to be able to do this year since we were taking Havoc. We have taken him camping and he surprised us with how well he did. He is a barker and can make quite the noise sometimes. We actually took him to a firework show on the 3rd to see how he would do. We thought he would be barking so much that we would have to pack up and leave early but he sat on mine or Ross' lap and he just watched the fireworks. He would watch from where they were launched and follow them up in the sky to where they exploded, kind of interesting to watch his head move following the fireworks, he did have a continuous growl while following the trail but no barking. So, with reunion and his first time on the boats and really his first time with a large body of water we were hoping he would adapt and we could still have fun. He did really good on the boat, he just sat on my lap and watched those on the tubes and skis. The only time he really got a little agitated was when I was on the tube. He wouldn't take his eyes off of me. He also ventured into the water up to his shoulders, he would back out of the water once he started sniffing it and got water up the nose. Saturday afternoon my aunt and uncle brought my grandma and their dog up for the afternoon and my aunt volunteered to watch Havoc while I played, which made it much easier to swim and hang out.

By the time Sunday hit I was definitely ready to go home and shower and sleep in my own bed.

No comments: