Thursday, July 29, 2010

Kind of Interesting Trip

Last weekend my brother Jared invited Ross and I to go to Lake Powell with him, and well, its Lake Powell so how could I refuse? Due to annoying employment Ross was not able to get the full time off from work but he was able to join us from Friday to Sunday. We spent Friday night in the marina campgrounds and the rest of the time we did some beach camping. It was our first experience beach camping and for the most part it wasn't bad. The first night on the beach left a lot to be desired. As the sun was setting the wind started and it was brutal. It didn't help that our camp was on top of a hill with no protection. Ross and I had been at the boat filling up our air mattress when it started and almost lost our bed when we got to the top of the hill. We sat holding it for a while hoping to wait out the wind, but the wind was a little more persistent. Because Ross and I didn't take a tent we all ended up in my brother's tent with him, our niece and my dad. It was a 3 man tent so with the 5 of us and most of our gear it was extremely cramped. It was quite the um . . . . . bonding time? It was a very long night. We were so crammed in there that we didn't pull out our sleeping bags and just slept where we were, it was definitely warm enough. Ross and I tried to sleep with shirts over our faces because there would be big gusts of wind that would dump tons of sand through the window and sand blast us in the face, we ate a lot of sand. Halfway through the night I wasn't sleeping so I got up and went to sleep on the back of the boat and it was the best idea I had all trip. I spent the rest of the nights sleeping on the boat.

At our first camp spot Celeste and I found a large pvc pipe that was floating in the water and after pulling it out and turning it over found it was full of fishing poles. The bad part is that there was only 2 full poles and the rest were just pole bottoms. Well, that and they aren't very good quality. Celeste kept the good pole and we left the others behind for someone else to discover.




Ross, Jared and my dad fishing. I was so shocked that Ross was expressing an interest in fishing and he spent a couple of hours fishing with the pole. There was tons of large carp in the shallows around our first camp and they were fun to play with, for a while. They are garbage eaters so they wouldn't take our lures but we tried to entice them with food (apple core, chicken bones and crackers) and a net and Ross got pretty close to catching one with the net at one point. You can kind of see the fish, the greenish thing, in front of Ross, its like an inch from the tip of the net. He followed that fish for a while and just wasn't able to get it.



Sunday we went in search of a new beach to camp on, preferably one away from the wind and after 3 hours of searching ended up back at the beach we were at last year with the house boat. Which was ok with me. It had a sandy beach, plenty of room to swim without worrying about being run over by other boats and was against a rock wall to provide shade for the last half of the day.

Jared and my dad created a shelter with a tarp and a couple trekking poles, it kept the ice chests and food out of the sun.

This is just a random picture of Ross on the tube. Since he had to go home Sunday he didn't get as much play time.

1 comment:

BreAnn said...

Sounds fun, I can't wait to go next year!