Ross and I spent the previous week ripping out the lawn and the 2 remaining tree stumps in the front. The problem is the stumps didn't want to come out, they fought Ross for 3 days. While Ross wrested with and cussed at the stumps I got the "privilege" of tilling up the front yard and removing all the dead grass and weeds. 3 days and 9 hours later I finally finished and we were ready to put the sod down. We were able to get the sod in 3 trips with the trailer, the hardest part was unloading the sod from the trailer for the next trip (who knew sod was so heavy). I was trying to help Ross unload the sod, what little he would let me help with, and I ended up tweaking my back. I am just so grateful for all the help we got on Saturday morning laying the sod, my dad and sister came and helped and one of Ross friends just showed up to help. I knew it would have taken Ross and I forever with just us and with all the extra help we were able to get 1200 sq feet laid in about 3 hours, and that's with a Popsicle break.
We weren't able to get it all done, probably need another couple of pallets worth, but that's for another time, but it looks so good. A couple times both Ross and I just sat and stared at it, enjoying the view and how nice it looks. A couple times during the lawn removal process I got frustrated and annoyed at the soreness and was ready to just hire a landscaper, but now that its all done and I just need to water I am glad that we did it ourselves and have a sense of accomplishment and am almost ready to tackle another of our many projects, just not for a couple of weeks.
My other big project this weekend was a cake. I really enjoy making cakes and its fun to go through the creative process and see a cake turn into something more fun. My problem this weekend was fitting in the time and energy this weekend to do the cake justice. We were making it for my nephew's 4th birthday and we wanted to try something pretty different. We had been planning this cake since the middle of June and were pretty excited to try the idea and I think it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself.
The whole cake was edible, except for the fish in the fishbowl. Well, I guess you can eat those, but they are not cake or sweet and I think a little boy would have been upset if you ate his fish. We did have some comments about the rocks around the bottom of the cake, they thought they were real rocks and were shocked to hear that they were fondant. My sister and I are looking for our next cake project, it may not be until Jan but that gives us time to come up with a theme. Its for another one of my nephews and it was suggested yesterday that we make a cat cake with a live cat in the middle tier. I think its something we should keep in mind.

No comments:
Post a Comment