Thursday, August 19, 2010

Domesticated


I have been wanting to build our food storage for a little while, I think it started a couple months after we got married, and just haven't had the room, until we bought our house. Now I feel this push/drive to get our food storage started and to where it can support Ross and I, if even for a short time. When we were looking at houses one of the things I looked for in the yards of all the potential homes was if there was fruit trees, and if not if there was room to plant some and there HAD to be room for my garden. I grew up with fruit trees and gardens and the produce tastes so much better when you can go into your yard and pick it and eat it. My cherries came and went, I did eat some, but those aren't something I really care for bottled, but I have been anxiously awaiting my peaches. And let me tell you, they are every bit as delicious as I anticipated. Earlier in the week I cut up a bowl full and had peaches and cream and let me tell you how amazing it was. Unfortunately my peach tree is dying so it wasn't as full as I would have liked but there is still enough for me to do a little with. Yesterday I decided to bottle some of my peaches before the ants and birds eat them all. I have grown up bottling fruit and so its nothing new to me, but I usually have help or am helping someone and so I have never realized how much I had to get ready, between washing and sterilizing the bottles, blanching the peaches and getting the pot to process them. But I did it and if I do say so myself I think they turned out pretty good. I did some jam and some halves. I did have to get creative since I don't have all the tools and little household items that makes it easier, I guess I took for granted all the things my mom's kitchen has.