Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oh YouTube: How I Love Thee . . . . .

let me count the ways. Youtube has officially become my new best friend. It has saved Ross and I lots of money and it has helped to alleviate boredom and stresses. You may wonder how YouTube has helped to save hundreds of dollars, if not more and I will tell you. With the purchase of our new home, although not new it was new to us, and with it not being new there were plenty of things that needed to be fixed and many of these items were small and not covered under our home warranty. After spending all our home allotment on carpet and flooring and paint, etc we found out part of our kitchen sink was not hooked up (we found out when guests dumped water down the drain and we heard it leaking into the cupboard underneath) and in order to hook it up we needed to get a and hook up a new disposal. Now, Ross and I can do some things but neither one of us have hooked up a disposal and the instructions that came with the new disposal was not at all clear. Ross pulls out his computer and watches YouTube and BAM! he is able to hook it up and it works. That saved us at least $100. Then, the breaks on Ross' car needed to be changed, and though he has done this before he needed a slight refresher. He pulled up YouTube and took his computer out to his car with him and with just the cost of the new pads was able to replace his breaks. This saved at least $150. The breaks on my car were going out, it wasn't the pads, I could push the breaks almost to the floor before they started to do something (I had to start breaking 1 1/2 blocks in advance) and Ross found out on YouTube how to bleed my breaks after changing the pads to get the breaks working. This saved about $150. Yesterday we had a repairman come and look at our garage door motor (hasn't worked since before we moved in) and found out the morons that had the house before us somehow got spray paint inside the motor and on the mother-board, so this wasn't covered by our home warranty. The guy told us it would be cheaper to get a new motor at Home Depot than it would be for him to get it and install it for us. We may need to pull out YouTube for this project this weekend, especially when it comes to the key pad. This will save us $300. And the last, to date, project we need to get done soon is my blower/fan in my AC went out. I can deal with not having an AC but with this fan being gone I also won't have a heater this winter to defrost my windows and I really don't see how that can be safe. So, Ross has been researching on YouTube the last couple of days to see how to change this beauty, saving us another big chunk of money.

And for me, lately I have gotten back into crocheting and its a great time passer at work. I have been doing hats that one day I will list on my Etsy account, but in doing hats I have come across stitches and phrases in patterns that I have never heard of and don't know how to do the stitch. I just plug it into YouTube and I can easily find a video that shows me how to do it. This is such a miracle because usually when I can't figure things out with crocheting I would get frustrated and give it up and the project never gets finished. Now, I have tons of finished hats, and they are so cute if I do say so myself.

This is my newest hat and it has the picot stitch around the bottom. I had never heard of this stitch but thanks to my new best friend I was able to see how its done and was able to finish my hat.

Oh, and not to forget the gems that you can find on there like auto tune the news, Bon Qui Qui and all the painful bloopers that make me laugh so hard I am crying.

So, 6 of the many reasons I love YouTube and I am sure they will continue to grow.

1 comment:

BreAnn said...

Ah yes, YouTube is so amazng. It keeps me entertained at work, and that's how I learned HTML! And auto tune the news brings me a ridiculous amount of joy.