Wednesday, February 23, 2011

He means well . . . .

Those of you that know my husband know he is one of the nicest guys ever.  If anyone needs anything he is right there offering to help and he does the same for me.  He takes very good care of me and tries to make sure all my needs and wants are met.  That being said he is also a guy and maybe some of my reactions come from the pregnancy hormones (its all the pregnancy's fault right?).  The following are a couple of the interactions we have had lately.

Last Saturday he was getting ready to go running outside and I asked if he was going to the track down the street and if so I was going to join him.  He said he would do that so I could get out and walk some.  I put on my running/yoga pants and as we are walking down the street he looked behind me and said "wow, your butt is really big now."  Hmmm, I don't think that's ever a good statement.  And as I tried to pull my shirt lower to cover my butt he tried to tell me it was ok and it looked good.  I don't know about that.  Since then, when discussing the statement he says that his statement was "you can tell your butt is getting bigger." (or something close to that.)  Either way, I don't think its a very good thing to hear and now I need to get longer shirts.

One day last week we were laying on the bed talking and catching up after a long day of work and school and he put his arm around me and onto my stomach and was jiggling it a little then commented "wow, I can fit my hand under your stomach it sticks out so much."  Again, not a statement I was thrilled with.  He says he thinks its cute, but when you feel huge, so much bigger than you think you should, its not always appreciated.  I think I am a little insecure with my stomach for a couple reasons, one of which is I am not used to being this rotund and two, I have seen other's that are farther along than me and don't stick out as much as I do.  My mother has been good at easing my concern saying that everyone grows differently and has different builds.  I know I shouldn't compare myself to others, after all very large babies run in Ross' family, and the thought of a 12 pound baby scares me, maybe just a little.

Last Sunday when I picked Ross up after I was done in primary and we were walking outside Ross told me "So, I was talking to brother Oliver about your pain in your girlie area and . . . "  That's all I heard when I may have over reacted a little.  I was a little shocked and maybe a tiny bit mortified that Ross would be discussing my private areas with a member of our bishopric.  He cut off my little rant to inform me that he was a doctor so it was ok.  I didn't feel very ok with it, not in church and not with someone at church.  After calming down a little I did find it very nice of him that he was trying to be helpful and watch out for me.  He was asking to see if it was a normal pain and if there was anything we could do about it to help ease it.  He does watch out for me and has become even more protective since I have become pregnant and I really do appreciate all he does, I'm just a little bit of a private person with certain matters and wasn't excited to have parts of me discussed at church with a guy I don't know.

Despite these little things that Ross says he is pretty amazing and the best husband I have ever had.  When I wake up in the night and am in too much pain to roll over but it hurts to not roll over he helps me.  He helps me get out of bed in the mornings, probably the only way I would be able to with how bad my back and hips hurt and he is supportive of me finding ways to ease the "fun" pregnancy symptoms.  Even with his less than sensitive comments I think I will keep him.

1 comment: