Monday, June 7, 2010

To Seed or to Sod, That is the Question

My main focus at our house lately has been the darn yard. As I posted earlier I didn't realize how much work it was going to be to get it looking good and in my eyes we are still quite a ways off. I look at our neighbors yards and lust after their lush, thick green grass that is free of weeds, I then look at our brown, thin, grass that is 80% weeds. Now, I do realize that our neighbors take care of their grass and have been taking care of it for 20 plus years, I just don't want to wait that long for a nice looking lawn. I think I am asking for too much.

After all the time I have spent picking out rocks and pulling up weeds and removing garbage I planted some grass seed in both the front and the back. In the front we used a brand that said it was idiot proof, you could plant it on cement and it would grow. Hmmm, what does that say about me when it isn't really growing? Don't get me wrong, there is a few blades of grass, but def not thick and luscious. In the back we tried a different brand and its looking much better and coming in much thicker than in the front, but the work that goes into it. And then there are the weeds that are coming in with the grass, come to find out they love all the water I am putting there for the grass. I feel like I am always outside watering these spots to keep them moist in the heat. This week we "get" to dig up half the front yard because its just weeds or the grass had died and its just dirt and the decision was made to spend the extra money to get sod. After much deliberation we decided it may be worth the extra cost to just get a pallet of sod and not have to worry about keeping it moist, plus we need to replant where we put the seed in the front. I know there will be a big difference in the grass where we put the sod and where we don't, but in time I hope it evens out.

We have also decided to try the zoysia grass next spring. After researching it I think it will pay off. From what I have read zoysia grows slow with deep roots so it only needs to be watered a couple times a month and mowed once a month, which I think both aspects would be good. And on the plus side its a thick grass that will crowd out the weeds and the old grass and have a nice thick grass. And I don't have to worry about seeds or pulling up my old grass. They have plugs that you put in your grass and in 2 growing seasons it takes over the old grass and all the weeds. I am pretty excited to give it a try.

1 comment:

BreAnn said...

That would be amazing to just have an instant lawn! I don't have the patience either, I would want sod!