Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Winter Sports

Yesterday we decided to try a new winter sport. I have seen people snowshoe and I have heard a co-worker talking about it and the things they have seen and the more I looked online the more I wanted to try it. I was a little concerned that it would be really difficult when I read that you will burn 1,000 calories an hour showshoeing, but thought I would try it anyways. Ross was up to trying it and Jeff and Bre came with us. For our first time we thought we would stay close to see if we did like it and just went up American Fork canyon. We ended up doing a 4 mile hike, 2 up and 2 down. It wasn't as strenuous as I thought, or maybe I am in better shape than I thought I was.
When we first started the trail went above the road so we could see and hear the snowmobils and the higher we went we heard less and saw less people and it was actually really pretty peaceful and serene. We were all tired afterwards but are now thinking of investing in our own snowshoes and doing it more often and eventually combining it with backpacking and do some winter camping. I am excited to get into the Uintas to see what kind of wild life we can see in the winter when there aren't any other people around. Here are some more pictures of the day.

1 comment:

BreAnn said...

I'm in your blog stealing your pictures! Muahahahaha!!!