Sunday, February 12, 2012

6 months

I can't believe its been six months since this little guy has joined our family.  It seems so short and yet fast at the same time.  I don't remember what it was like not to have him in our family and I marvel at him every day.  I can't believe how far he has come and how much he has learned in such a short time.  He has been eating rice cereal for the last month and has loved it.  He sits like a little bird with his mouth open when he sees me getting it ready and will hold his mouth open when he is ready for more.  On the 9th we added peas to the mix and will do a new veggie every 4 days or so.  He took to peas without a 2nd thought.  I was hoping to a weird look with the first taste but nothing.  He did scream when he was done with the peas, he just wanted more.  He eats so much too.  He will generally eat a full jar of baby food.  I don't want to over feed him but according to the pediatrician I should feed him until he doesn't open his mouth for more, or if I feel like he has had enough.  However, he has only gained a pound or so in the last 2 months so I guess he isn't over eating that badly.  He dropped from the 99th percentile in weight to the 89th, so maybe he is slowing down.  His head though is still at the 98th percentile.  He is now 28 inches long and since his car seat is for up to 22 pounds and 29 inches long we figured its probably time to graduate him to a convertible car seat instead of his carrier, which I will miss for the convenience but not for the weight, that thing was a beast to lug around sometimes.  Ryder has become very adept at rolling over.  When he is at home and I lay him on the floor he immediately rolls to his stomach.  Now that he can put himself on his stomach he doesn't mind it, but when I would put him on his stomach he would kick up a fuss.

This last week was a beast of a week with him.  As much as I love the little guy I don't want to have another week like that one.  He was cutting 4 teeth at once (started getting 2 more on the bottom then the two on the top started to come in) and then had to get his shots.  Generally he is pretty good when he gets teeth but he has never had 4 at once.  Then on Friday he had his 6 month immunizations and Friday night he was not happy.  His screaming was louder than the Metallica concerts I have been to.  It took orajel and tylenol to calm him down enough so that he could sleep. 

The next step he is working on is sitting up.  He was doing really good this morning sitting up and balancing on his own.  He isn't good enough that I can set him down and walk away, one day.  He is also trying to get up on his knees when he is on his stomach.  I was putting toys just out of reach to encourage him but then he would push himself backwards away from them.  One day he will get it and he will never hold still again.





When we are out with Ryder we routinely get one of 3 comments, that he has a lot of hair, that his eyes are so large or that his smile lights up his face and radiates.  I think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, even now when he is up way past his bed time.  I couldn't get him to sleep so he is cuddling with me on the couch while I blog.  He is pretty content, except when he tries to type.

1 comment:

BreAnn said...

I'm starting to see a lot of you in him as he gets older. What a handsom young thing.