I think there is a huge learning curve with your first pregnancy. Everything is new and everyone has an opinion or has read something that they will share with you as doctrine. I learned to take advice with a grain of salt and to not necessarily believe everything I am told. I do ask my doctor about some of them to see if they are true and he is bluntly honest with me, which is a very good thing. I have had questions about everything from travel to swelling to weight gain to what can and can't be done while pregnant. What I have learned from him is that if I want to do something I can do it and may as well. He told me I could even go to Disneyland and ride all the rides, 8 months pregnant, and nothing will happen to the baby. I was pretty shocked to hear this, but I guess God knew what He was doing when he designed the woman's body. There are also many many other things I have learned, that a doctor wouldn't be able to educate me about, that I want to share with you today.
First - Everyone likes to ask when the baby is due, which is natural, but I am a little more surprised at how many people ask if we have a name yet for the baby. Maybe its just me, but that's not something I ask and its not something I thought a lot of people would ask, especially at church. I think 80% of the people I have talked to have asked if we have a name yet, some of them ask me every month if we have one yet. I tell them we are waiting to see what he looks like before we name him, and yet, the next month they ask again if we have a name yet.
2 - When people ask about my due date close to 98% of them give me one of the following reactions:
"Oh goodness, you will be so miserable."
"I am so sorry for you, it will be so hot."
(grimacing) "I sure hope you have air conditioning."
Or something very close to this. I have found it quite humorous and like to predict people's reactions. Plus, all the extra sympathy is pretty nice too.
3 - Everyone, and when I say everyone I mean EVERYONE, likes to share their horror stories. I have gotten stories from both women and men, although men don't fully understand but like to relate their wife's horror stories. And there are some pretty sad things and some pretty gross things that can happen. I am more than ok with this and it reminds me of how lucky I am so far that this is a pretty normal pregnancy. I am sure one day I will share my own version of these stories.
4 - I did learn that when others are sharing their horror stories about pregnancy I have to sit quietly and nod politely. I am not to join in and share what I have been going through and what I had to deal with so far in my pregnancy because that is complaining. When others are sharing their woes they had with swelling and other aches and pains I can not add to the conversation with my swelling and aches and pains I have had so far. I was not aware that this is complaining and whining. I guess there is a waiting period after the baby is born before I can share my stories? Maybe someone can let me know when its appropriate for me to be able to share my woes so I don't come off as a complainer.
5 - I had a day when I was called tubby, a planet, particularly the moon, and was told that I wasn't allowed on someones boat cause I would sink it. Granted I have a pretty thick skin, thanks to my siblings, and it didn't really affect me, though I used pregnancy hormones as a threat. I am sure there were some others in there too. Then one of the sweetest little 3 year olds ever came up to me and said "I like your clothes". Just the way she said it (you probably had to be there), such a sweetie, really made my day and all the less than kind comments from before just melted away. All it takes is a sweet, sincere little girl to brighten your day. (Its ok, I still kind of like those of you that made the less than nice comments :)
6 - I have noticed that most of the maternity shirts are low cut. I am not sure if this is to keep the pregnant lady more cool in the hot temps or if its to show off the newer bigger cleavage. Whatever the reason its becoming a pain. When I got to the point that I had to wear maternity clothes it wasn't a big deal, the neck of the shirts sat a little higher on my chest. However, as my stomach has grown the neck line has slowly crept farther and farther down my chest. Previously I was delusional and thought that maternity shirts would cover you appropriately for the full 9 months, that's what they were made for. Boy was I wrong. I am at a point with a majority of my shirts where I have to make a choice. I guess its a simple choice cause there are two options: Do I cover my stomach or do I cover my chest? I can pull my shirt down to cover my stomach which in turn pulls it farther down my chest. I try to pull it up over my chest but it reveals more of my stomach. Its a never ending tug-of-war.
7 - This is the most amazing tool ever. When we were cleaning out my grandma's house Ross came across it and was playing with it so much that my grandma gave it to him. I teased him a little bit about it and it got tucked away in Ross room, forgotten about. A couple weeks ago I was trying to pick some things up off the floor and it wasn't very easy or comfortable. I then remembered this fun little gadget downstairs and ran, or moved as fast as I could, to get it. It has really been a life saver the last little while and I think its something that every pregnant woman should have.
It works well at picking rocks out of my garden and I need to test it and see how well it does with weeding.
8 - I have learned there are two types of people out there: those that are willing to help a pregnant lady pick stuff up and those who like to sit and watch the lady with the big belly struggle. I don't like to feel or look helpless but when it comes to bending over and picking things up it sometimes hurts. It feel like the baby is being shoved up into my rib cage and into all my internal organs, that and if I get down I may not get back up. I am usually really lucky that someone willing to help me is there when I need it. There have been a few times when I have struggled to pick up something and noticed some people very obviously watching my struggle or after I picked up what I needed people have said they were going to help but wanted to watch me struggle.


No comments:
Post a Comment