Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Check It Out!

I have always wanted to fly fish but it always looked too tricky and very complicated.  After moving into our house we had a street Christmas party and we got to meet most of our neighbors at one place.  One neighbor grabbed Ross and asked if he was into fishing, to which Ross laughed a little.  The neighbor was offering to teach him to fly fish and before Ross could say anything else I jumped in and exclaimed that I have always wanted to learn and that I bet Ross would find it fun.  A year and a half later, due to my procrastination, we have been taking lessons.  Ross was a natural but still had no desire for fishing.  I on the other hand had a desire but no natural talent.  I have been working at my false casting and it is getting better, and thank heavens my neighbor is very patient with us.  Turns out he really likes to teach people to fish. 

A couple weeks ago we went to a little fishing pond in Pleasant Grove and was going to work on our casting while trying to actually catch a fish.  My casting wasn't very good so I was very skeptical that I would catch anything.  As the morning went on my casting got better and my hopes for catching some of the big fish I saw those around me pulling out got greater.  It happened all at once, I did my false casting and then laid my line down in the water, waited a couple seconds before starting to bring the line in and make my fly tantalizing.  I looked away to talk to someone and then WHAM!  I caught my first fish fly fishing, and I am pretty darn proud of that fish.

1 comment: