My husband has become brainwashed. Before we got married he didn't really care about Thanksgiving, one year him and his mother went to a health food store and picked up a couple items from the cafe and called that dinner. When he told me what he was doing for his Thanksgiving dinner I thought it was very blasphemous and was shocked that someone would do something like that for a Thanksgiving dinner. I grew up very differently, VERY differently. Every year we go to my grandma's house and have the traditional dinner, complete with pie and ice cream for desert. A couple times Ross has scoffed at my idea of Thanksgiving dinner. However, over the past 4 years, since he has been stuck in Utah for the holidays, he has been coming to dinner with my family and I heard one of the most shocking statements from him a couple weeks ago. He told me he was converted to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner and that's the way Thanksgiving should be. I was pretty shocked, that's for sure. And since he made that statement all he talks about is Thanksgiving and how many days away it was and how he was looking forward to the food (he even made a request to my mom for extra stuffing so he can eat as much as he wants). It has gotten so bad and its brought up so much that yesterday I told him I am not discussing anything about Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving dinner, Thanksgiving food, any kind of countdown or anything to do with the day. He is getting more excited for Thanksgiving than for Christmas, give him time on that and I think he will come around.
Ross and I were raised very differently in very different parts of the country. A few times it has caused a few wrinkles but for the most part its great, we both have very different ideas and traditions to bring to the table and as we have started our little family its great to try to pull from the different traditions we both grew up with and make our own traditions. I think its fun to try to pull some of the Southern traditions in, some are pretty different from Utah, which makes it more fun.
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
HA HA you mentioned Thanksgiving, quite a few times I might add.
He got you there. Viva la Thanksgiving!
Post a Comment