Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Garden

I think my ambition has burned me out. For those of you that have not seen my yard, there is A LOT to do and at first it didn't seem so bad. But, as with the inside of the house, the more work is done the more I realize its quite the daunting task. My first big project was to remove the small "decorative" rocks from my flower beds so I can plant grass. It def took a lot longer than I had planned, but what doesn't? It took me many days and one afternoon my friend brought her 4 kids over to help with the rocks. Finally I was able to get the two front beds empty of rocks and got my grass planted, which I hope the grass grows and the snow didn't kill the seeds. When the grass finally comes in it will mean less weeding for me and since I don't care for weeding it will be nice. I still have the planters boxes in the front and the side to de-rock but since I don't know what I am planting there yet I am not pushing to get it done fast.

My other big project is my garden. I grew up having a garden every year and I love being able to go out back and get fresh veggies and I plan to bottle some of the fruits of my labor, which will be nice this winter and help in the grocery budget. But, again, I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I tend to jump in with both feet instead of starting small. I have many tomato plants, I am trying peppers and my husband wanted some jalapeno plants, I already planted my peas and strawberries and have started some cucumber, watermelon, pumpkin, cantaloupe, squash and artichoke plants in the house so when its finally warm I can plant them outside and hopefully have a jump start. But, then again there is all the weeding involved and judging by the rocks and trash I am pulling out my new garden area, I don't think they ever had anything planted in the space. I have even found buried bricks (some days I am afraid of finding a dead body). I am sure I will be pulling rocks out of the garden area for many years. But I am pretty excited for the end result, if it ever gets here. I usually get home from work and spend at least a couple hours out there working on something, which is nice after the winter of being indoors, but I am ready for some progress, I want my yard to look as nice as my neighbors which have very green, nice lush grass instead of how my front lawn is mostly dandelions. I do want to try to grow some asparagus in one of my front planters boxes but I'm not sure how it will do in the area. I haven't decided if I want to put flowers in my boxes because a lot of them you have to replant every year and that can be expensive and most ground covers end up in the grass and become a nuisance. But if I use flowering veggies and stuff then I can eat them too. Come fall I will probably be biting off more than I can chew with bottling too. I hope I can get some good fruit off my trees that I can use this winter. I guess I just hope that I have some good fruit trees, the apple is the only one I am sure of what it is, the other 7 are a mystery.

1 comment:

BreAnn said...

Phew, that IS a lot of work! It will be nice to have the fruits and veggies though.