Monday, February 8, 2010
Reminders
I don't know if anyone else is as effected by this as I am, but smells and some foods remind me of times and places in the past, mainly from my mission, and some of them are really strong. I am sitting here enjoying some Baked Lays sour cream and onion chips and every time I eat these it reminds me of my p-days in my last area with one of my favorite companions. Berrett and I would do our laundry and then go grocery shopping and we always got a bag of these chips each and after our activity and play was done we would end up back at our apartment eating the chips and playing speed. It was quite the combination and helped to pass many a p-day. This companion was a lot of fun and we found great joy in the stupid and simple things of life. When I shower it takes me back to my 2nd area in my mission. We were in a very ghetto apartment surrounded by Mexicans and gang members. A couple nights we sat in the middle of our apartment listening to gun shots in the neighborhood. The walls in this apartment were so thin that we could hear the next door neighbor when he would pee and talk on the phone. So, now when I use the same shampoo or conditioner I used in that area I can almost hear the neighbor peeing while talking on the phone. That one is one of the stronger associations I have, and the fact that the bathroom and shower head is extremely close to the way the bathroom there was. Maybe its just that my mission was a big influence on my life that so much reminds me of places and people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm the same way! Especially with shampoo smells; if I smell a shampoo I used on vacation in takes me back to that vacation. Or if I use a deodorant I used in WA it takes me back there. Smells are definitley attached to memories for me!
Post a Comment